So sorry for the delay in posting, dear readers.  It’s that stressful time of year again and I found myself so exhausted that when I wasn’t working, I was sleeping.  I did get a few small things done though, so there are more posts forthcoming.

On to the coat.

Every time I mentioned this project to anyone, I was met with disbelief.  And I talk about sewing a lot.  😀  I often got comments like “Oh, I could never make my own outerwear!  It’s so difficult!”  So I got to thinking about it.  What’s so hard about a coat?  It has many of the same design elements as a suit jacket, or more basically, a collared shirt.  In fact, the most difficult part, for me at least, is getting the blasted collar put in without having something wonky happen.  I once accidentally cut a hole in the back of a dress when trimming the seam allowance on the collar of the dress.  Thankfully, the fix made the dress look much better than it would have otherwise, but that’s a topic for another post.

Because really, a lined coat is just as accessible as the shirt dress I talked about a couple of weeks ago.  And bonus, there were no break-ups involved this time!  🙂

Now with all that said, there are some things I would do differently next time.  But let’s look at the coat first before we start talking alterations for next time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the left here is the coat on my trusty dress form.  Please excuse the messy shelf in the background, I was having lighting difficulties and this was the best place to get a good pic for you.  I love it.  It looks sharp and professional.  The buttons are amazing, but sadly I couldn’t get a good shot of them up close.

And on the right I’ve got the coat on a hanger so you can see it’s dirty little secret… the one little detail that you won’t see when I’m wearing it.

That’s right, it’s a zebra print lining.  I love it so much!

Now to talk about changes.  I’ve worn the coat once, and sadly it’s going to be tucked into my closet or given to a deserving friend.  You see, while McCall’s did a mostly-great job of grading the pattern to be fat-girl friendly, they missed one crucial problem.  The upper arms are too slim.  So the coat binds uncomfortably around my biceps.  So disappointing.  This my friends is why it’s a good idea to make a test garment out of muslin or cheap fabric before cutting into your $26-per-yard-OMG-expensive wool.  Because it kills me a little to think of how much I spent on this project and that I can’t wear it immediately.  (Disclaimer: I didn’t actually pay $26 a yard for the fabric.  I got it for about $10/yard thanks to a combo of sale and friends & family additional discount day at the local fabric store.  But still.)

The one other problem is that I felt that the sleeves were just a tad short.  I’m fixing that particular problem by undoing the sleeve hem, sewing some grosgrain ribbon around the sleeve and using the ribbon as a hem facing.  It gives me about an extra inch.

I’ll make another coat, of course.  I’m just sad that I put in all this effort on this one and that I can’t wear it.  Especially considering that I had to save up for the fabric the first time, and I’ll certainly have to save up again.  I doubt I’ll manage to get the same combo of sale and extra discount day that I got the last time around.  We’ll see what happens.

Advertisements